Nineteen years ago, I left the Assemblies of God and began exploring the catholic tradition, the first step of which was an Eastern Orthodox Church. Partially out of desire to leave the past behind, and perhaps a little bit under the sway of Fr. Seraphim Rose's Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future, I distanced myself from any possibility of charismatic expression or theology. Although I eventually rejected the narrow (and, frankly, ignorant) view expressed in Fr. Seraphim's book, I generally avoided the Charismatic Movement when I became Catholic in 1995.A few months ago, however, an interesting thing happened. I was in a Facebook debate with a traditional leaning Catholic who was attacking the Charismatic Movement, and much of what he said echoed the false sentiments of Fr. Seraphim. I was forced to defend the movement from which I had distanced myself. And it made me start thinking.
What was it, really, that made me avoid the Charismatics. Yes, maybe there was an element of Been there, Done that. But it was deeper.
I hadn't ever denied the reality of the Charismata. But, to be honest, my observation was that Catholic Charismatics tended to be more Charismatic than Catholic. There was little grounding, or desire for grounding, in the 2000 year Tradition of the Church. It was almost like they were your typical Protestant Pentecostals, except for an acceptance of the Sacraments.
This week, I began reading A Key to Charismatic Renewal in the Catholic Church, by Msgr Vincent M. Walsh, and some works by Fr. Robert DeGrandis, and I saw that there was indeed a strong biblical basis - and Christian Initiation and the Baptism in the Holy Spirit: Evidence from the First Eight Centuries certainly shows there is a strong patristic basis as well.
So, I did something I haven't done since 1992. I prayed in tongues. And the effect was immediate.
I received a measure of Inner Healing.
So I've continued to do it. And praying the Rosary, and the Office? It's been a long time since I've wanted to pray them. I have prayed them, to be sure. As a Dominican, I am obliged to do so. And the practice has not been without edification, and yes, enjoyment. But it was done out of obligation, not out of joyful anticipation.
Now, it's joyful anticipation.
I could say the same about study. Joyful anticipation.
I foresee a deepening of the Charismatic Dimension in my life, enriching my participation in the Dominican Pillar of Contemplation.
And the Pillar of Apostolate? More on that later.
No comments:
Post a Comment